Historic Sites

With 133 blocks (over 2,000 structures) of the country’s most notable architecture all listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Madison is Indiana’s largest historic district.Three sites, The Lanier Mansion State Historic Site, the Shrewsbury-Windel House, and Eleutherian College are designated as National Historic Landmarks. Madison has been awarded National Historic Landmark District designation joining Savannah and Charleston as national treasures.

Included in Madison’s historic district and open to the public are a 19th century horse and buggy doctor’s office, a Greek Revival style townhouse, an 1816 Federal style home – believed to be Madison’s first two-story tavern, the country’s only restored 19th century saddletree factory, an 1865 railroad station and the Lanier Mansion & formal garden. Adding to the richness of the Madison experience is the historic downtown business district, home to a varied selection of specialty shops, artists, cafes, and restaurants.

African Methodist Episcopal(AME) Church

The 1850 AME Church building, one of the oldest buildings of its kind in the U.S., commemorates Madison's important Underground Railroad heritage. It is one of a rare group of nationally recognized, privately-owned, pre-Civil war buildings associated with the city's early, free African-American community. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Tours available by advance appointment only. Admission: $4, Children free.

ADDRESS 309 E. Fifth Street
PHONE 812-265-2967





African Methodist Episcopal(AME) Church

Dr. William Hutchings Office & Hospital

The late nineteenth century office and hospital of this horse-and-buggy doctor contains most of the original equipment and family furnishings. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Open late Apr-Oct, Thurs-Mon 1pm-4:30pm.  Admission: Adults $4, Children Free

ADDRESS 120 W. Third Street
PHONE 812-265-2967





Dr. William Hutchings Office & Hospital

Francis Costigan House

Built by Francis Costigan, Madison’s most premier architect and master builder, for his family. This freshly restored Greek Revival townhouse displays grand 19th century styles designed to keep the eye moving in a structure that is an architectural masterpiece of proportions. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Open late Apr-Oct, Sat-Mon 1pm-4:30pm. Admission: Adults $4, Children free.

ADDRESS 408 W. Third St., Madison, IN
PHONE 812-265-2967





Francis Costigan House

Historic Eleutherian College (National Historic Landmark)

Eleutherian College is a National Historic Landmark founded in 1848 by anti-slavery Baptists. The three story tall stone building, constructed between 1853 and 1856, is a magnificent building open for tours by appointment.

Tours available by advance appointment only.

Admission: $5.00 suggested donation

ADDRESS 6927 W. State Road 250 Lancaster, Indiana
PHONE 812-866-7291





Historic Eleutherian College (National Historic Landmark)

History Center - Jefferson Co. Historical Society

Permanent and changing exhibits devoted to the history of southern Indiana and the mid-Ohio Valley with emphasis upon the Civil War, steam boating, and early Scots immigrants. Research Library open Weds.

Open May 1-Oct. 31 Mon-Sat 10am-4: 30pm, Mar 4-Apr 30 and Nov-Dec Mon-Fri 10am-4: 30pm.

Admission: $3.00, children free, senior discount

ADDRESS 615 W. First Street
PHONE 812-265-2335





Heritage Center Jefferson County Historical Society

Jeremiah Sullivan House

Built in 1818 and considered Madison’s first mansion, this stately federal style structure was home to one of Madison’s most distinguished leaders. Sullivan and his family lived in the home for over 70 years. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Open Mid-Apr-Oct Thurs-Mon 1pm-4:30pm Admission: Adults $4, Children free.

ADDRESS 304 W. Second Street
PHONE 812-265-2967





Jeremiah Sullivan House

Lanier Mansion State Historic Site

Features 1844 Greek Revival home of James F.D. Lanier (the “crown jewel” of Madison’s Historic District), a National Historic Landmark, recreated formal gardens, Lanier Mansion Shop. Open year round. Guided tours at regular intervals between 9am and 4pm. Gardens & grounds open dawn to dusk year round.

Admission: adults $5.00; seniors $4.00; children $2.00

ADDRESS 601 W. First Street
PHONE 812-265-3526





Lanier Mansion (National Historic Landmark)

Madison Railroad Station

Opened in 1895 and noted for its Octagonal Waiting Room surmounted by stained glass windows. Filled with artifacts and displays devoted to railroad history.

Open May 1-Oct. 31 Mon-Sat 10am-4: 30pm, Mar 4-Apr 30 and Nov-Dec Mon-Fri 10am-4: 30pm.

Admission: $3.00, children free, senior discount

ADDRESS 615 W. First Street
PHONE 812-265-2335





Jefferson County Historical Society – Madison Railroad Station

Schofield House

Built circa 1815. The first two-story brick inn & tavern in Madison. It was the birth place of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Indiana..

Open Apr 15 through Oct 31: Thurs-Mon 10:30am-4:30pm.  Admission: adults $3.00, couple $5.00, children free

ADDRESS 217 W. Second Street
WWW
PHONE 812-265-4759





Schofield House

Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum

Visit America’s only restored 19th century saddletree factory. Tours, demonstrations, and exhibits show how the Schroeder family made saddle frames, clothespins and other products. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Open late-Apr through Oct Sat-Mon 1pm-4:30pm 

Admission: Adults $4, Children free.

ADDRESS 106 Milton Street
PHONE 812-265-2967





Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum

Shrewsbury-Windle House

Built in 1846-1849 for Captain Charles L. Shrewsbury and later owned by John and Ann Windle, founders of Historic Madison, Inc. Designed by Francis Costigan in Classic Revival style, the house is adorned with ornate carved stone work and elaborate iron railings, a free standing staircase, intricate plaster moldings, twelve foot tall doors and sixteen foot high ceilings. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.

Tours available by advance appointment only. Admission: Adults $4, Children free.

ADDRESS 301 West First Street
PHONE 812-265-2967





ShrewsBury-Windle House

Talbot-Hyatt Pioneer Garden

This garden illustrates some important aspects of the manner of living in small cities in the early nineteenth century.

Open to the public from dawn till dusk.

ADDRESS Corner of West Second & Poplar
PHONE 812-265-2967