Built between 1838 and 1839, this simple Gothic Revival design house of worship is the second oldest building built as a Catholic church in Indiana. The construction material for the church is said to have come from the hillside above the site. Many of the builders were Irish immigrants. According to the Indiana State of Historic Preservation Office, it is the oldest Gothic style building in the state. Pointed arched windows are a design element of the Gothic style. Congregation members included local architect Francis Costigan and William Griffin, the Irish immigrant who completed the construction of the Madison and Indianapolis Railroad Incline.
The south part of the church is the oldest. In 1865, the church’s nave was extended 30 feet to the north. In order to do this without disruption to the church’s interior, much of the addition is below grade so that the stained-glass window high in the apse is just inches above grade on the exterior. The most prominent architectural detail of the church’s interior is its rare ogee-arch, or “open book,” ceiling. The Art Glass windows were installed in the late 1890’s, created with color and symbolism in mind. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Tours by appointment/reservation only two weeks in advance for this site.
2022 hours of operation are dependent on State and Federal health guidelines. Admission charged.
For current tour information contact: www.historicmadisoninc.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call 812-265-2697 weekdays.
For groups of 10 or more, museums are open year round. Minimum 2 week advance registration required.