Spring temperatures are slowly starting to return, which hopefully means we will start to see beautiful spring blooms soon too! Maybe you and your spouse are in need of a spring break getaway, or perhaps you’re looking to spend some time with friends! As local and regional schools are coming up on their spring breaks, maybe you’re looking for things to do with your little one(s). Whatever the case may be, here’s a breakdown of all the fun spring break activities right here in Madison!
For the Kids
- Jefferson County History Center: Right next to the Visitors Center at 601 W. 1st St., bring the kids down to the History Center! Let them crawl around the 1918 restored red caboose reminiscent of Madison’s railroad days. They’re sure to love it! Currently the History Center is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays 10am-3pm.
- Tour a Historic Madison, Inc. Property or the Lanier Mansion Historic Site: Schedule a tour at Dr. Hutchings Museum for the kids to marvel at 19th century surgical tools, books, and other artifacts. Maybe you have a future aspiring architect; then you must visit the Shrewsbury-Windle House! Call 812-265-2697 or email email@example.com to schedule a tour of any of their historic properties. Additionally, the Lanier Mansion Historic Site is always a crowd pleaser for the little ones! Tours are given Wednesdays through Sundays at 10AM, 12PM, 2PM, and 4PM. Get your tickets at the Visitors Center 601 W. 1st St.
- Shop small for big smiles! Downtown Madison is known for its vast array of locally-owned shops and boutiques. McWhiggin’s Wonder Emporium is a show stopping destination for FUN! This extravagant store has sentimental vintage items for older generations as well as the newest and coolest toys that are sure to wow your kiddos. Swing by Little People Boutique to snag an adorable new outfit for your favorite little person (or people!) just in time for Easter! Also make note of Lanier’s Egg Extravaganza on April 9th; be sure to get your tickets soon! The kids will also love Fountain Alley Bodycare where they can get a fun-scented hand-crafted soap that is good for their skin and for the environment!
- Play at the parks: Downtown Madison is home to several kid-friendly playgrounds and parks, including all-inclusive Hargan-Matthews Park designed to be accessible for children of all ages and abilities. Bring sporting equipment, picnic supplies, and anything else you may need for a wonderful day at the park!
For the Adults
- Check out Indiana’s Music City! Be sure you are following our Facebook page to see our weekly #WeekendToDo posts where we highlight all the happenings in Madison for the upcoming weekend. There’s live music every weekend at several locally-owned venues throughout our Historic Downtown District. You’ll discover a range of artists and styles that will get you on the dance floor in no time!
- Explore Madison’s Outdoors! We have no shortage of trails to hike and sights to see. Head over to Clifty Falls State Park and set out on one of their ten trails that range in difficulty and length. Hanover College also has a great hiking trail for those seeking to answer the call of adventure! For a more leisurely affair, take a stroll along our gorgeous riverfront. If the weather is exceptionally nice, check out our area golf courses.
- Enjoy our local breweries and wineries! Madison is home to two local breweries and two wineries. Mad Paddle Brewstillery features a self-pour wall and live music every weekend. While New Madison Brewing Company‘s Taproom is located up on the hill, you can find their delicious brews at several locations downtown including Mad Love Eat + Drink, Bad Apple Mac’s, Red on Main, and Off Broadway Taproom! At Thomas Family Winery, you’ll find a rustic pub-style atmosphere with vino as vivacious as the live music acts!
- Tour Madison on wheels! Rent a golf cart from Acree Alley Carts and cruise along the riverfront in style. There’s just something about sitting back and taking in all the beauty of the mighty Ohio from the comfort and luxury of a golf cart!